Customer Families allows you to relate a number of customers together, similar to a parent/child methodology. This means you’ll be able to look at one parent company and access all of the tickets from the various companies connected to it quickly and easily. This is very helpful in situations where your customers have multiple locations, or multiple divisions. This also applies to the Customer Hub. When a customer is associated with a parent company and they log into the Hub, they’ll be able to see all of the information for the various subsidiaries as well.
Using Customer Families
To see your list of Parent Companies, browse to Companies from your left hand navigation, and click on the Parent Companies tab.
Here is an example of a Parent Company.
You will notice that it looks very similar to a regular Company with a few important distinctions:
- (Parent View): The word “Parent View” is noted next to the company name in parenthesis.
- Parent View/Child View Toggle button: To switch back and forth between Parent View and Child View, click the Parent View/Child View Toggle button in the upper right hand corner.
- Pie Charts and CDI: These graphs will display data for both Parent and Child Companies. The CDI is an average of Parent and Child companies.
- Children Tab: Lists all of the Companies are defined as Children Companies to this Company.
- Contacts Tab: The Contacts tab will show contacts for both Parent and Child Companies.
- Tickets Tab: The Tickets tab will show tickets for both Parent and Child Companies.
- Notes: The Notes tab will show notes for both Parent and Child Companies.
- Files: The Files tab will show files that have been attached to both Parent and Child Companies.
Creating a Parent/Child Relationship
Please note that a Parent Company is not created directly. Initially, it will be just a regular Company. It becomes a Parent when you make the Parent/Child relationship. Once the relationship is made, the Company will be visible in both the Company and Parent Company tabs in the Customer section, and you will be able to toggle between Parent/Child view as described above.
To create a Parent/Child relationship, visit the record for the Company you wish to make the child and define a Parent Company. If it is not already, the Parent company will be displayed in the “Parent Companies” section, and the Child will be displayed in the “Child Companies” tab of the Parent Company.
Managing a Parent Company
The Edit button is not available in Parent View. To edit a Parent Company, you simply need to edit the company in Child View. You can toggle views by clicking the Parent View/Child View toggle button on the upper right hand corner as seen in the screenshot above.
Manging a Contact within a Parent Company
You have an option for contacts of Parent Companies which will allow/disallow them from seeing tickets for Child companies. Click here to learn more about this contact setting.
Additional important Notes about Customer Families
- A Parent may have many Child Companies, and a Child Company may have many Parent Companies.
- Any Company can be a Parent Company.
- When a Company is a Parent Company, it will be listed as a Parent Company and a regular Company. You can switch between Parent View and Child (or Regular) View as described above.
- You may assign Contacts to Parent Companies. Contacts that are assigned to Parent Companies may have ticket visibility of all Child Companies. This is a contact setting which can be defined here.
Need more help with this?
Don’t hesitate to contact us here.