The Custom Fields section allows you to create fields unique to your organization for Tickets, Users, Products, Product Versions, Customers, Inventory Assets, Customer Products, and Customer Contacts. Each of these different areas in the application can have as many different custom fields as you need.
Quick Tip: Custom fields can be found in our Reporting section, which means you can use these fields for analyzing your data. You can also build Ticket Automation triggers with custom fields which gives you the power to automatically take action on tickets based on values that are selected in a custom field. You may also set custom field values based on other ticket conditions through Ticket Automation.
To add/edit custom fields, go to Admin -> Custom Fields tab.
First, make a selection from the “Field Type” pulldown. If you select Tickets, a second pulldown for Ticket Type will appear. To add a category, click “Add Category”. You can always rearrange the custom fields into categories by dragging and dropping. You can create an unlimited number of custom fields per category and Ticket Type. This means that each separate ticket type can have custom fields which best capture the information required for that particular type.
To add a custom field click “Add Custom Field”. To edit an existing custom field, hover over the name then click the pencil icon next to the name that will appear.
The following form will appear:
- Name and Field Type are required fields. “Name” is the name of the field displayed to the user/customer entering data and is what is displayed in the user interface.
Additional fields on this form. Please note that not all options below will be available based on the Field Type selection
- API Field Name: The name used for our API. This will be auto-filled after you click save.
- Parent Field/Parent Product: You can setup a tree of conditional custom fields using the parent field.
- Field Type: The Property Type field has 5 possible options:
- Text: This is used when you simply want a place to enter additional text information with no restrictions unless an input mask is specified. See Input Mask description below.
- Number: This will only allow numbers to be entered.
- Pick List: When you select Pick List you will get an additional field in the dialog named “Pick List Values”. You can enter the specific items you want to appear in the pulldown here with carriage returns. We also suggest you manually type in the word “Select” as the first value. For example:
- True of False: This is used when you want the user to enter only a true or false value. It will be presented to the user as a checkbox (checked = true, unchecked = false).
- Date and Time: The user will only be allowed to enter a date/time, and will be prompted with a clock and calendar dialog to help them.
- Date: The user will only be allowed to enter a date, and will be prompted with a calendar dialog to help them.
- Time: The user will only be allowed to enter a time, and will be prompted with a clock dialog to help them.
- Required/Mandatory fields: These boxes define if a custom field is required or mandatory for a user/customer to fill out.
- Description: for your internal use to describe what the field is supposed to be used for.
- Visible on Portal: allows you to define which of your custom fields are shown to users of your Basic and/or Advanced portals. This allows you to have some fields which are shown to your customers and others which are only displayed to internal users. Note that this only applies to custom fields under the “Tickets” Field Type. Please note that mandatory fields can be set for your customers on the portal.
- Masks: Input masks allows a user to more easily enter fixed width input where you would like them to enter the data in a certain format (dates,phone numbers, etc).
Many TeamSupport customers tend to add a lot of custom fields under the Customers section. To help better organize this data, you can group fields into categories. Just click on the “add category” link, then drag/drop the custom fields where you want them to be. You can also drag/drop entire categories to reorder.
Here is a view of the categories in the Customers section:
Need more help with this?
Don’t hesitate to contact us here.